As part of our commitment to regional communities Aurizon is proud to sponsor the Newcastle Knights. The Hunter Valley is an important area for Aurizon, with growing operations and a growing workforce.
Aurizon has been a partner of the Newcastle Knights for the last six years, and throughout that time has worked with the Club to bring rail safety messages into local schools and the broader community.
The Newcastle Knights work with Aurizon to deliver an important Rail Safety program into primary schools throughout the Hunter Region. Knights players act as Rail Safety Ambassadors to teach children to Stop, Look, Listen, and Think, around railway tracks.
Barry the Ball
Aurizon works with Newcastle Knights players to introduce 'Barry the Ball' as part of an interactive presentation to give kids tips on how to stay safe around rail lines and crossings. Barry the Ball teaches the children to “Know their Game Plan” at level crossings, as he helps them to understand:
- Trains are very long and heavy, and take a long time to stop
- Only ever cross a railway track where it’s safe - at a level crossing, a bridge or an underpass
- Never play on or near railway tracks
- When you’re waiting for train, stand behind the yellow line
- If you’re in a car, remind the driver to stop and look both ways before they cross the track
The Clontarf Foundation is a charitable not-for-profit organisation set up to improve the education, discipline, self-esteem, life skills and employment prospects of young Aboriginal men.