Under the Transport Infrastructure (Rail) Regulation 2006, you are required to obtain permission from Network Services to take overdimensional road loads across Aurizon infrastructure. Typical examples of such loads are houses, earthmoving equipment, transformers, machinery or agricultural equipment.
If a road load exceeds any of the requirements listed below, and it is required to transport such load across Aurizon infrastructure, you must apply for permission in the form of a permit or a confirmation issued by Network Access’ Over Dimensional Road Loads Section. This permit or confirmation ensures safe travel over all QR National infrastructure and the type of authority will depend on the type of load being transported and the required route.
For more information of the legislative requirements, view the Transport Infrastructure (Rail) Regulation 2006 available on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel web site.
If you would like more information please see the Frequently Asked Questions. If you would like to submit an application, please view the Application Process, call 07 3066 5518.
Written permission must be obtained where:
1. It is necessary to drive a vehicle that has the following over-weight dimensions:
- the axle mass for any single axle of the vehicle is over 12 tonnes;
- the total of all axle masses for any 9m of the vehicle’s length is over 48 tonnes; or
- the total of all axle masses for the vehicle is over 105 tonnes.
2. It is necessary to drive a vehicle that has the following over-height dimensions, if the vehicle is higher than:
- a height barrier for the crossing;
- where the South East Queensland electrified track crosses an access road (4.1m);
- where the South East Queensland electrified track crosses another road (5m);
- where another electrified railway track crosses an access road (4.3m); or
- in any other situation where the vehicle exceeds the height restriction (5.2m).
3. It is necessary to drive a vehicle that is longer than 35m.
4. It is necessary to drive a vehicle that is wider than:
- 5.5m; or
- the distance between the posts of a height barrier for the crossing.